November 15, 2017
This past weekend the SDSU Speech and Debate program competed at the Griffin Invitational held at Grossmont College just outside of San Diego. A total of 16 teams from four states competed in the event. Some of SDSU’s more formidable opponents included Northern Arizona University, the University of Wisconsin, and cross town rival Point Loma Nazarene University.
In Debate, both David McDonald and Kirra Jackson were named IPDA Gold Medal Finalists on Friday and Saturday respectively, each compiling 5-1 records including elimination round wins. “David and Kirra shined this weekend,” commented Director of Forensics Jason Edgar, “earning one championship is an honor, but two in back-to-back tournaments from different competitors shows the depth of SDSU’s talent.”
By the end of the three day competition, SDSU spoke their way to their first two team awards of the season: 2nd in Debate Sweepstakes and 3rd in Overall Sweepstakes. Here is a complete list of Aztecs who won awards at the Griffin Invitational.
- David McDonald- Gold Finalist, Friday Varsity IPDA Debate
- Matthew Chang- Silver Semi-Finalist, Friday Varsity IPDA Debate
- Danielle Bloom- Silver Semi-Finalist, Friday Varsity IPDA Debate
- Kelsey Aliabadi- Silver Semi-Finalist, Friday Novice IPDA Debate
- Andrew Adrian- Bronze Quarter-Finalist, Friday Novice IPDA Debate
- Ashtyn Nichols- 2nd Place, Varsity After Dinner Speaking
- Will MacTavish- 2nd Place, Novice After Dinner Speaking
- Bradford Williamson- 4th Place, Open After Dinner Speaking
- Will MacTavish- 4th Place, Novice Impromptu
- Kirra Jackson- Top Novice and 3rd Overall, Program Oral Interpretation
- Allison Lawrence- Bronze Quarter-Finalist, Saturday Novice IPDA Debate
- Kirra Jackson- Gold Finalist, Friday Varsity IPDA Debate
- Danielle Bloom & Kirra Jackson- Tournament Champions, JV Parliamentary Debate
- Matthew Chang & Allison Lawrence- Gold Finalists, Novice Parliamentary Debate
- David McDonald- 2nd Place Speaker, JV Parliamentary Debate
- Payton Brazil- 3rd Place Speaker, JV Parliamentary Debate
SDSU also had teams competing at the Robert Barbera Invitational at CSU-Northridge. In Parliamentary Debate, team of Esau Cortez and Andrea Sanchez posted a 5-1 record and advanced all the way to the Quarter-Finals. Sanchez was also named 5th Place Speaker. The team is now off until January 4th when they travel to the University of Utah. For more information about Aztec Forensics, email Jason Edgar at firstname.lastname@example.org.