Dr. Charles Goehring
Lecturer, Director of Internship
Office: HH 220
Mon. 11:00am-12:00pm;Thurs. 10:00am -11:00am, and by appt.
Personal Zoom Link
Dr. Goehring is Assistant Professor of Communication at SDSU. He earned his Ph.D. in Communication Studies from the University of Iowa in 2008, his M.A. in Communication from San Diego State University in 2003, and his B.A. in Communication from the University of California, San Diego in 1993. He joined the School of Communication as a lecturer in 2007 and began as an assistant professor in 2014. He teaches both graduate and undergraduate courses, and is a Faculty Fellow in the Weber Honors College. His research areas include rhetorical theory and criticism, visual rhetoric, social movements, and feminist criticism.
- Comm 441: Critical/Cultural Methods
- Comm 452: Gender & Interaction
- Comm 740: Seminar in Rhetorical Theory
- Comm 750: Special Topics – Visual Rhetoric
- Honors 113: Gender Identity, Communication, & Activism
- Mangold, E., & Goehring, C. (in press, 2018). Identification by transitive property: Intermediated consubstantiality in the NFL’s Salute to Service campaign. Critical Studies in Media Communication.
- Goehring, C., Renegar, V., & Puhl, L. (2017). “Abusive Furniture”: Visual metonymy and the Hungarian Stop Violence Against Women Campaign. Women's Studies in Communication, 40(4), 440-457.
- Goehring, C., & Dionisopoulos, G. N. (2013). Identification by antithesis: The Turner Diaries as constitutive rhetoric. Southern Communication Journal, 78(5), 369-386.
- Lowrey, L., Renegar, V. R., & Goehring, C. E. (2014). “When God gives you AIDS … Make lemon-AIDS”: Ironic persona and perspective by incongruity in Sarah Silverman’s Jesus is Magic. Western Journal Of Communication, 78(1), 58-77.
- Top Paper for the Rhetoric and Public Address Division at the Western States Communication Association annual convention. February 2018. Santa Clara, CA: Mangold, E., & Goehring, C. “Identification by the Transitive Property: Intermediated Consubstantiality in the N.F.L.’s Salute to Service Campaign.”
- Top Paper for the Visual Communication Division at the National Communication Association annual convention. November 2017. Dallas, TX: Mangold, E., & Goehring, C. “Toward a Theorization of the Aerial View.”
- Top Paper for the Organization for Research on Women and Communication at the Western States Communication Association Annual Convention. February 2014. Anaheim, CA.: Puhl, L., Goehring, C., & Renegar, V. “Transferring Visual Ideographs of Abuse: A Critical Examination of Representations of
- Top Paper for the Visual Communication Division at the National Communication Association annual convention. November 2010. San Francisco, CA.:“Bridging Rhetoric and Aesthetics: The Abu Ghraib Photographs as a Moral Lesson.”
- Outstanding Faculty Award, School of Communication (2018) in recognition as the most influential university professor in the academic career of Sean Taylor, San Diego State University, May, 2018.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, School of Communication (2016) in recognition as the most influential university professor in the academic career of Jenna Wells, San Diego State University, May, 2016.
Faculty Main Page